• Yukon • Arctic Circle • Northwest Territories
Yukon and the Northwest Territories remain one of North America's last great wilderness areas, offering some of the world’s most spectacular scenery. On this tour we will experience the mystery and vastness of the region and immerse ourselves in the unique culture of the people. We will listen to the legends of the north, the rhythms of the dances and music, learn of local traditions such as bone carving, weaving and beadwork, discover the challenges of those who ventured here and sample the local cuisine.
We begin in Whitehorse, which has the feel of a frontier town amid the scenic wilderness. From here we take the spectacular Klondike Highway north, surrounded by mountains and rivers, to Dawson City - home of the Klondike Gold Rush, where we will learn about the challenges of this distinct period in our country’s history.
Then we take the iconic Dempster Highway to the Beaufort Delta - a remote region within the Arctic Circle, and we’ll take an amazing sightseeing flight over the Tuktoyaktuk Peninsula and the Mackenzie River Delta, and drive the newly built Mackenzie Valley Highway to the Arctic Ocean.
Our tour ends in Yellowknife - on the shore of Great Slave Lake, where we experience the “wild west” period of the mining days and the majestic beauty of the region.
• SS Klondike and MacBride Museum
• Carcross (originally known as Caribou Crossing) community on Bennett Lake
• Spectacular Klondike Highway
• Dawson City - heart of the Gold Rush and the National Historic Site Bonanza Creek
• Fort McPherson, a Gwich’in First Nation settlement
• The iconic Dempster Highway
• Inuvik - Land of the Midnight Sun
• Sightseeing flight over the Mackenzie River Delta and Tuktoyaktuk Peninsula
• Yellowknife, the capital of the North West Territories
* This tour is for the fit and active traveller only.