In fact, last year the European Council on Tourism named Ethiopia the World’s Best Tourist Destination.
We will explore the 12th-century rock-hewn churches in Lalibela, the ruins in Aksum (reputed home of the Queen of Sheba), the scenic mountains and valleys in Simien National Park and the amazing tribes of the Oma Valley. In the village of Ari we’ll meet potters, blacksmiths and women grinding grain, and enjoy a taste of bunaketele - a delicious drink made from coffee, chillies and lemongrass.
*** This adventure of a lifetime is suited only for the fit, active and adventurous traveller.
*** The group size is guaranteed to be under 20.
*** Ethiopia is still quite primitive and outside the capital of Addis Ababa hotels are simple, roads are rough and food choices might be limited.
- Labial plated women of the Mursi tribe
- 14th-century island Monasteries of Lake Tana
- Simien Mountains National Park (UNESCO Site)
- Rock hewn churches of Lalibela (UNESCO Site)
- The ornate body decorations of the tribesmen in Desanech (Geleb) tribal village
- Ancient kingdom of Aksum (UNESCO Site)
- Lake Chamo – huge crocodiles and colourful birds
- Konso Village (UNESCO Site) - famous for their grave markers and hardwood statues of the deceased
- Traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony at a local house
- Special Ethiopian Farewell Dinner with traditional food and a cultural dance show