Mexico brings to mind wide brimmed sombreros, lively Mariachis and cool frosty Margaritas, however on this unique tour we explore another side of Mexico - the magical states of Oaxaca and Chiapas. While this timeless region is known for its fascinating Mayan history and stunning natural settings, perhaps the most wonderful attraction here is the indigenous people of various ethnic groups and how they proudly continue to enjoy the traditions, cuisine, clothing and folk-art that they have for many generations.
We begin and end the tour in the fascinating capital of Mexico City, which delights visitors with endless options. Our city tour will take us from the pre-Hispanic towns found right in the city’s heart, to the colonial era with its many old churches and beautiful houses with cool shaded patios.
We then move on to Oaxaca for a 4-night stay. This quintessential Mexican town is renowned for colourful Indian markets, delicious food and exquisite churches. We will stay at The Hostal de la Noria, a beautiful colonial mansion converted into a charming hotel. From here we can stroll the narrow winding streets, people-watch from a sidewalk cafe or head out of town to visit awe-inspiring ancient ruins.
We then proceed to Chiapas for a 5-night stay. Mexico’s southernmost state is known as “Paradise of the South” as it brims with stunning natural wonders, ancient civilizations and mysterious Mayan villages. We will stay at the Casa Vieja - a lovely hotel with colonial flavour close to the main pedestrian streets. Our included tours here will take in fascinating Mayan Villages and tranquil natural beauty.
• Tour of Mexico City and its historic center
• Colonial Puebla - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Mountain-top Monte Alban - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Historic Oaxaca - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Boat ride through the 800-metre deep Sumidero Canyon
• The beautiful city of San Cristobal De Las Casas
• Mayan villages of Zinacantan and San Juan Chamula
• Chiflon Waterfalls - one of Mexico’s highest waterfalls
• The well-preserved Mayan archaeological site of Tonina
* This tour is suited only for the fit and active traveller.