This region, which features imposing castles, elegant abbeys, stately mansions and dramatic ruins, has a turbulent and romantic history. With a landscape of rolling hills and open countryside in the west, and gentle valleys and picturesque villages in the east, it is really no surprise that these lands inspired the works of literary greats like Sir Walter Scott and John Buchan.
A quick sail across the Firth of Clyde will take us to the Isles of Arran and Bute. Arran has all the natural features of a typical Scottish island; a dramatic and ever-changing coastline, imposing mountain peaks, sheltered beaches and verdant forests. Beautiful Bute is a compact island of extraordinarily varied landscapes, as well as distinctive architecture in the resort towns that combines Victoriana and art-deco style. Both islands are a pure delight to visit!
* Those joining any of our tours to Europe must be able to walk fairly long distances and climb stairs easily.
• Scotland’s Capital City, Edinburgh
• Traquair House - Scotland’s oldest, continuously inhabited house
• Bamburgh Castle
• The iconic Alnwick Castle (Downton Abbey)
• Abbotsford - the home of Sir Walter Scott
• Alpaca Trekking
• Melrose Abbey
• Dumfries and Galloway
• Isle of Arran, including the Arran Distillery
• Isle of Bute, including Mount Stuart