Along with the football match, the pub and a ‘nice cuppa’, few British institutions are as important as the garden, and now more than ever gardening has become one of Britain’s beloved pastimes. On this tour we will visit various styles of gardens, including those created by Britain’s most famous landscape architects, such as Vita Sackville-West, Christopher Lloyd and Capability Brown. We will also discover some of Britain’s grandiose estates and learn of their turbulent and romantic past.
We begin with a 7-night stay in the county of Kent, known as the ‘Garden of England’. One of Britain’s oldest counties, Kent is not only known for its enchanting gardens, but it is also home to more castles and historic houses than any other region of England. It has been the playground to royals and aristocrats for centuries.
We spend the next 6 nights in London - “Everybody’s Favourite City”. Our centrally located hotel is the perfect base for both touring and exploring on our own.
*Those participating in any of our tours to Europe must be able to walk fairly long distances and climb stairs easily.
• Sissinghurst Castle, Vita Sackville-West and Sir Harold Nicholson’s world famous garden
• Canterbury - historic English cathedral city and UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Leeds Castle, “the Loveliest Castle in the world”
• Penshurst Place and Gardens
• Chatham`s Historic Dockyard
• Hever Castle & Gardens - childhood home of Anne Boleyn
• Hampton Court Palace - the country retreat of King Henry VIII, and Capability Brown Gardens
• Award-winning tour of Wimbledon
• Royal Botanical Gardens (Kew)
• Savill Gardens with Thames River cruise
• Great Dixter House - once home to gardener Christopher Lloyd