The Azores (a region of Portugal) are a lush green archipelago in the mid-Atlantic with dramatic landscapes, fishing villages, green pastures and hedgerows of blue hydrangeas.
The five islands we’ll visit offer breathtaking mountains, quiet valleys, enchanting lakes in extinct craters and wonderful coasts lined with picturesque villages and historical towns. The pace of life in the Azores is relaxed, so while we explore these islands we will have time to savour their pleasures. Our walks are designed for avid walkers, however they are relaxed and provide ample time to appreciate the beauty of the scenery, history and culture.
- Sao Miguel Island: Walking tour of Ponta Delgada, Full day “Geo Tour” to Lagoa do Fogo (Fire Lake) and Caldeira Velha, with some free time in the spa village.
- Faial Island: Island tour including Caldeira, a walk to Cabeco Gordo view point, Monte Guia, Porto Pim and a whale and dolphin watching cruise.
- Pico Island: Walk from Frei Matias through lush countryside to Madelana, Quinta das Rocas Garden and a taste of Pico wine and cheese.
- Sao Jorge Island: Tour of Velas, the “Three Fajas Walk” (known as the best walk in the Azores), and the “Spine Walk” between the green crater peaks .
- Terceira Island: Tour of Angra do Heroismo, the Algar do Carvao (Cavern of Coal), the wine region of Biscoitos and Praia’s bird reserve.
- Excursion to Sete Cidades Crater Lake and village, and the volcanic basin of Furnas including the Parque Terra Nostra gardens.
***Participants must be able to complete up to 14km of walking on varied terrain.