Japan is a complex country with scenic beauty, ancient temples, colourful shrines, unique cuisine, fascinating street markets and much more. We begin in Tokyo, where we will explore modern Japan. Then we travel through the beautiful mountainous region around sacred Mount Fuji, to the cultural capital, Kyoto, which hosts Japan's largest concentration of temples, shrines and traditional arts. Next is Hiroshima - completely rebuilt after the war, and the picturesque island of Miyajima - home of the Itsukushima Shrine (a UNSESCO World Heritage Site). Our final stop in Japan is the lively harbour city of Fukuoka, with a cruise on the Yana River. Much of our travel within Japan will be aboard the high-speed Bullet Train.
South Korea is a mountainous country with scenic hills and valleys alongside stunning coastlines and beaches. We will take a jet ferry from Japan to the port city of Busan, and then proceed to Gyeongju (considered one of the world’s most historical cities), where we discover a treasure trove of priceless artifacts and ancient sites, including the oldest astronomical observatory in the world. We finish in Seoul, the capital, where one can find traces of its 5,000 year history in the palaces and temples.
• Tokyo’s Imperial Garden & Asakusa Kannon Temple
• Cruise on Lake Ashi with panoramic views of Mt. Fuji
• Cultural capital of Kyoto
• Okayama Castle and Koraku-en Garden
• Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
• Kintai Bridge and Iwakuni Castle
• Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine and 6000 Plum Trees
• Ferry to South Korea and port of Busan
• Gyeongju, the ancient capital of the Silla dynasty
• Traditional village of Yangdong
• Gwanghwamun Plaza, temples and markets of Seoul
* Those joining any of our tours to Asia must be able to walk fairly long distances and climb stairs easily.